Monday, December 12, 2005

Harry Potter casting

So far the casting for the Harry Potter movies has been okay, but there are a few choices that I have to take issue with. First, replacement Dumbledore is terrible. Second, I think Alan Rickman makes Snape a little too funny, which isn't consistent with the books and might make it hard to transition into the events of Book 6. So I've been thinking about who might work for some characters that we haven't met in the movies, and I thought I might share.

First, I think Helena Bonham Carter would be fantastic as Bellatrix. She has those fantastic "heavily-lidded" eyes, and she's really good at playing characters that are slightly unhinged.

To stick with that family, I think Sienna Guillory would work well as Narcissa. It might be a more obscure choice, but I've seen her in a couple things as kind of a side character and she always kept my attention, and she has kind of a snobby quality that I like for this part.

Next, I think someone need to call Jeremy Irons right now and get him to play Rufus Scrimgeur (did I spell that right?) I may be biased since Jeremy Irons played Scar in the Lion King and Rufus is so often described as loking like a lion.

Last, I think Bill Nighy would be great as Mundungus. Bill Nighy played the guy who helped build planets in Hitchiker's Guide, if anyone call recall that part of the movie. He also played the aging rock star in Love Actually.

So, how does everyone feel about these picks?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes we need to have Bill Nighy in the next Harry Potter. What is taking them so long ? :-)

Anonymous said...

oh my god. you're a genius. drop out of law school and join a casting agency.

Pens! said...

Seriously, I second what Krissa said. However I both agree and disagree with your Snape assessment. During the recent snow day I was watching Prisoner of Azkaban and I was commenting that Snape is not mean enough to Harry, you don't get that he has something against Harry in particular, you just get that he's sort of an ass, but at the same time I think Alan Rickman really "looks the part" and is capable of a more visceral "Snapeyness". That said we all agree that Snape is probably a good-guy right?