Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Brief Digression

I know I said I'd be posting about Harry Potter, but indulge me in this extremely brief vent. The Bar Exam is in a week and, obviously, it's taking up like 95% of my time. I've been doing a lot of practice multiple choice questions, and I'd like to comment on something that I find extremely annoying -- the use of names in the practice questions.

Here's the thing: if you need to name some people for a hypothetical ("Jane and Doe are riding their bikes when Bob, who is driving negligently, strikes Jane with his car") it is nice to use names that are (1) easy to remember and (2) easily identifiable as male or female. Because if "Griddle, Ozarka, and Blue" are involved in a conspiracy and then all of a sudden "she decides to confess" I HAVE NO BLOODY IDEA WHO YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Is "Griddle" a woman's name? Or Ozarka? Blue? Seriously, it's super confusing and it annoys me that I have to spend time just figuring out who is who, when I should be figuring out who is liable.

Here are some of the actual names used in some of the practice questions:
1. Aiken, Bacon & Cogg
2. Panda
3. Menachem
4. Rogan Josh (yes, this is the name of an Indian food)
5. Orizaba
6. Biddlebaum

2 comments:

Carla Keahey said...

Wow. That's messed up.

I especially feel bad for Griddle - his/her parents must have been messed up on pancakes and crazy syrup when they decided on that name.

Anonymous said...

My most recent favorite involved Duffer, Spiffer and Koolcat in a contract dispute.

So Raych... how does Harry Potter end? You know I'm not a fan, but Harry Potter is like Paris Hilton-you can't avoid hearing about it if you live on this Earth. I'm curious, after all this speculation and waiting and daily news updates and people sleeping in line... did she whack the little magician? Set things up for another book? Or did she go "Sopranos" on it and end with a fade-to-black? Inquiring minds who don't care to read the books/see the movies want to know! (You can email me if posting the ending would be some kind of crime against Potter-manity.)

And most importantly... GOOD LUCK TUESDAY. And Wednesday. And Thursday, too. I can't wait until we're Esquires!