Tuesday, April 04, 2006

the Post you knew was coming

Saturday night as we finally got into bed Matt asked me if I would set my alarm. Sure, I responded, how abotu for 10:30? I figured that would give him plenty of time. "Um, could you set it for a little earlier", he asked, "like, maybe 9:15?" I groaned, but complied. It was 3:30 in the morning - actually, it was 4:30 because of the time change - and I was going to have to get up in four hours in order to go stand in line outside Best Buy.

Are you beginning to suspect what this is about?

This past Friday evening, Matt had made his usual round of calls to Best Buy, Circuit City and the like, asking if they had any Xbox 360's. And Best Buy had informed him that they would be getting a shipment of a least 30 units in on Sunday morning and that it would be advertised in the Sunday morning paper. So you can understand the glee Matt felt as we went to bed Saturday night. If you can't, pretend you're about to get that fabulous dress/pair of concert tickets you've been jonesing for.

My alarm went off at 9:15 and I hit snooze, thinking that I had a few minutes. Did I mention that Best Buy opens at 11am? Anyway, in the fifteen minutes between snoozes Matt got completely dressed, so that when my alarm went off again at 9:30 he decided to go without me. He called a few minutes later.

"Hey!"

"Hey hon. Are you there? What's going on?"

"Well, there's no line yet. There are about four people waiting in their cars, but no one's in line. Do you want me to come pick you up? Are you ready?"

"Will you buy me a smoothie?"

"Suuure."

"Okay, you can come pick me up."

So I threw on some clothes and waited for Matt to come pick me up. Then we got a smoothie, and then we returned to Best Buy. By then it was probably 10:20, and the nerds of the world had indeed started lining up outside the still-closed store. Some Best Buy employees started going down the line and asking, "You here for the 360?" and then noting whether the person wanted the core system or the platinum system with a harddrive. Each person was given a voucher as the employees moved down the line.

"What are you here for?", they had gotten to the dude in front of us, who wanted a platinum system. Then it was our turn, and Matt explained what he wanted and gleefully accepted his voucher. The employees moved to the guy behind us in line, and had the following conversation:

"Sir, what are you here for?"

"Hmm?"

"What are you waiting in line for?"

"Oh - Turbotax!"

" . . . .Turbotax?"

"Well, yes. Do you not have Turbotax??"

*Trying not to laugh* "No, no , we do, it's just - this line is for people waiting for an Xbox 360. You don't have to wait in line for Turbotax. You can go ahead inside."

Seriously, I know that getting your taxes done on time is important, but who gets to Best Buy a half hour before it opens on a Sunday and thinks they need to wait in line? Who thinks that lining up outside Best Buy is normal?

Promptly at 11am they let the line inside and Matt finally obtained the object of his affection. So far he's been playing it fairly cool, except that every now and then he shouts out something like "I can watch a slideshow of all our pictures!!" or "I can play any music on the computer while playing video games!" He also gets really excited when Alan sends us messages.

3 comments:

Pens! said...

I told Adam of this tale and he was so jealous.

Anonymous said...

Consider Stuart, too, to be jealous.

Anonymous said...

yeah, greg got a 360 totally by accident. he went to best buy one day for something else, and they just happened to have one in stock. so he just bought it. his friends were in disbelief and also jealous.

of course, it was put to immeidate use. see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60171515@N00/122884889/).

i thought it would be great if he just sold it on e-bay and turned a $300 profit. (that's several months of chocolate, or a few pairs of fabulous shoes). but no, he just decided to sell his regular old x-box and keep the 360. naturally.