Friday, March 17, 2006

Food, Glorious Food

Right now Baha'i's are in the middle of the annual Baha'i Fast, so I thought I would write a post about my favorite foods. (I know, it's sort of evil. I guess those of you who are fasting should wait to read this until after sunset.) Oh, and fair warning: the listed items are probably all going to be unhealthy and horrible for you in all sorts of ways. That's what makes them good . . . .

1. Dr. Pepper. I pretty much had to list this, right? Everyone is allowed a vice, and this is mine. I've heard all of the info about the evils of caffeine and carbonated drinks, but somehow I haven't managed to give up Dr. Pepper and those shiny red cans. Oooh, or the glass bottles with Dr. Pepper made from pure can sugar. Yum. I guess it's a Southern thing.

2. Plain Cheesecake from the Upper Crust Bakery. I swear to you, this heavenly concoction is worth every pair of pants that you can't fit into, every pound of fat that makes its home on your thighs. The cake itself is perfectly smooth and wonderful with just the slightest tastes of lemon and vanilla, and the crust is thick and crumbly and wonderful. Now that I'm writing about this, I think I might have to go buy one tomorrow.

3. HEB's juices. If you're a fan of real juice - as in, juice that's made from nothing more than fruit, water and sugar - then you'll love HEB's juices. I love the limeade, although it's pretty tangy and nto for the faint of heart. I'm also very fond of the tangerine juice, because it's all the deliciousness of clementines without the work of peeling. The only downside is that, obviously, you can't buy this at other grocery chains.

4. Fruit. I love it. I could eat fruit all day. Especially pineapple . . . .Mmmmm . . . . . Pineapple . . . .*Drools like Homer Simpson.

5. Barbeque chicken pizza. From pretty much anywhere.

6. Salad, drenched in some sort of delicious italian or vinagrette type dressing.

7. OMG SUSHI. The food of champions. Or maybe just of people who love seafood. Each piece of sushi is like a perfect, miniature meal where all the flavors mix in your mouth. It's probably the worst type of food you could ever eat on a blind date, since enjoying sushi involves shoving huge chunks of food into your mouth and (if you're me) spilling soy sauce all over. Seriously, there's not polite, demure way to eat sushi, which makes me love it even more.

8. The Dip. The Matts know what I'm referring to: some friend of my Mom's once made this dip (as in, like, chips and dip) that was absolutely delicious and subsequently gave my Mom the recipe who then passed the recipe on to me. I won't tell you what's in it because it sounds weird, but anyone who's actually tried it can attest to the fact that it's like crack. It's best with Wavy Lays. It's also especially good as a late night snack while playing video games.

9. The Mango-a-go-g0 smoothie from Jamba Juice.

10. Indian food. Especially Butter chicken.

11. And Finally . . . . The Cinnamocha from 360 Primo, my favorite coffeeshop, where I have spent countless hours wanting to beat myself to death with various legal textbooks.

So if you make it through the next few days, go out and reward yourself with one of these yummies. And if you decide on the Cinnamocha from 360 Primo then I'll probably see you there. I'll be the one with the huge book who looks like she's about to lose her mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice "Oliver" reference.

Anonymous said...

so rach, i totally feel you on:

3. juice -- as you know, cranberry juice is what i dream about during the fast. and i miss HEB like the desert misses rain.

4. pineapple -- by far my favorite fruit in the world. and so refreshing and hydrating that it's hard not to crave it during the fast.

5. barbecue chicken pizza -- you and me could hold it down at CPK any day.

10. indian food -- nothing like a lunch buffet to complete my existence.

and with all that said, happy naw-ruz. enjoy the feasting. :)