Sunday, July 17, 2005

Unreasonably distraught

Yesterday I was on top of the world - I picked up my highly anticipated copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and rushed home to start reading. And I read and I read. Then the book started upsetting me and I called Nikki for emotional support. Then I read some more.

EJHKA HIJESND AJIELOFMODHRD . . .

I just used a secret code to tell you what happens in the book. I then burned the magical talisman that contained the primer for the code, so I didn't give anything away. But I really had to tell someone, and my three Harry Potter fanatics are sort of indisposed:

1. Nikki is still reading because she spent the day helping people instead of reading. Meanie.
2. It's like 4am in NY where Krissa lives.
3. Alia is in China.

So here I am, alone and distraught, writing on my blog at 3am without even being able to say why I'm so upset. J. K. Rowling is amazing. The books are epic, magificent, and the most easily accessible form of myth that I've ever come across. But they make me very upset.

I think I'll go wake Matt up and see if he lets me tell him what happens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Okay, I'm only three chapters in and it makes me feel like I'm letting you down. I will now speed read my way through the morning.

Anonymous said...

yeah, rach, i'm totally flaking out on this one. friday night, i went to bed early instead of going to the midnight release downtown with my people. fortunately, my sweet boyfriend went and brought me my copy on saturday (along with a rose).

however, i was doing a law school prep course all weekend long (yuck, of course) and i haven't had a chance to read at all! i'm going to try to start this week, but i already feel like i'm so far behind the game... i'll start as soon as i can so we can get on the phone and compare notes. :)

though i'm excited to read this one, i was so angry and disgusted by book 5, that i'm a little apprehensive about book 6. i anticipate feeling the same frustrations that you are, rach. i totally agree that harry potter is epic and enthralling and is myth that's easy to weave into our own lives and universes--which is why it's so painful when J.K. jerks us around sometimes.

but we'll see how it goes... expect your phone to ring. :)